Fall is an exciting time of the year. The weather is changing, children are heading back to school, and fall sports are finally kicking off. For many high school and middle school students, they’re actively involved in football, soccer, or other fall sports such as cross country. Not only do these students need to shop for standard school supplies, they also need to get physical exams and the right sports equipment to compete at a high level in their respective sports.
Last week, we covered a checklist for back-to-school eye care, and one very important aspect of back to school shopping is making sure students have optimal vision for their studies. While it’s important for all students to have clear vision, athletes may need to take additional consideration towards their back to school eye care.
Back To School Eye Care Tips For Fall Sports
The most popular fall sports in the United States are Football, Soccer, and Cross country. Not only is poor vision a competitive disadvantage for athletes, it also can affect grades and school performance. See our checklist below for valuable pointers on eye care for athletes.
- Since athletes are highly dependent on clear vision, it’s important to get a yearly eye examination to make sure prescriptions are accurate and up to date. Try scheduling an exam with an eye doctor a month prior to school starting, that way it’s easy to shop for the right eye care products before school starts.
- Most athletes prefer contact lenses over glasses, as they’re easier to wear while running, jumping, or tackling, and offer a wider field of vision than glasses would. If contact lenses aren’t what the athlete would prefer, they may need to shop for prescription athletic goggles, which won’t break or fall off while playing contact or non-contact sports.
- Daily disposable contact lenses not only are easier to care for, but also benefit athletes since it’s not uncommon for athletes to lose a lens during competition. Daily disposable lenses also don’t require cleaning, and for athletes that would otherwise get dust and debris in their eyes, they’ll always have fresh and clean lenses in the morning.
- Sport Tint Contact Lenses offer athletes a competitive edge over their opponent regardless of whether vision correction is needed. Sport tint lenses work by enhancing visual contrast and potentially blocking glare, which can provide a competitive edge with superior vision in adverse environments. Football and Soccer athletes would benefit highly from the Bolle Blue Sport Tint Contacts, while distance runners may benefit from a more simple SunTac Sport Tint Contact Lens.
- As is true for all students, buying a bulk order of lenses and lens solution online not only will save money, but also will eliminate the need to remember when to re-order contacts.
- For sports played heavily in outdoor environments, sport sunglasses can protect the eyes from UltraViolet light, reduce glare, and eliminate wind irritation. Consider Smith Optics Parallel D Max sunglasses as a great example of competitive athletic sunglasses.